With summer in sight, your air conditioner will be on for a good portion of each day for the next few months. This can become rather expensive, but is it worth the price to stay out of the heat? Well, when you apply these tips to your daily life, you’ll be able to save money on your energy costs while also staying cool.
- Slight Thermostat Increase – Raising your thermostat just a few degrees can save you a bundle on your monthly energy bill. If you normally set your thermostat at 68 degrees Fahrenheit, raise it to 72 degrees. You’ll barely notice the difference and remain comfortably cool while also paying less.
- Switch to a Smart Thermostat – Using an old thermostat can cost you money as an old unit can be inaccurate in its readings and limit you by not having any money saving features. By upgrading to a smart thermostat, you’ll have more accurate readings and the ability to set timers and utilize zone cooling to be able to cool specific areas of your home.
- Complete Chores During the Night – Avoid using appliances that produce heat like ovens, stovetops, and clothes dryers. Limit cooking indoors and laundry to the nighttime when you can turn the AC off and open the windows to allow the cool breeze in. For cooking during the day, start utilizing your outdoor grill more (it’s a win-win if you ask us)!
- Install New Lights – Incandescent light bulbs not only cost more to keep on, but they also produce a lot of excess heat. Consider switching to CFL or LED light bulbs as they produce less heat AND are more energy efficient.
- Close All Blinds & Shades – When the sun shines through your windows, its heat can increase the indoor temperature — even if the AC is on. Keep all blinds and shades drawn closed on whichever side of the house the sun is facing. However, you can absolutely open shades, blinds, and windows on the other side of the house that isn’t receiving direct sunlight.
If you’re looking to save money on energy bills without sacrificing your own comfort, think about utilizing these helpful tips. An efficient HVAC system can also help you save money, so if yours needs service, repair, or replacement, contact Airtech of Stamford. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (203) 323-3959.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+!